1st Grade Team
Welcome to First Grade!
I am so excited for this school year! This is my sixth year teaching at McKeel Academy Central. I graduated from Southeastern University with a bachelors degree in Elementary Education. I am certified in elementary education, and I am reading and ESOL endorsed. I love traveling, shopping, and spending time with my family and friends. I also have a passion for learning and teaching. This year my goal is to enrich your child with engaging and differentiated learning experiences to meet your child's needs and help your child reach his or her full potential. I hope to instill a love of learning in your child, and I look forward to working together this year! Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns throughout the year.
What are we learning?
Reading: review of reading standards
Writing: review of writing standards
Math: telling time to the hour and half hour on digital and analog clocks, value of coins, adding coins and bills
Social Studies: economics
Science: life science
Phonics: a as short o if one syllable word ends in -ll or -lk (examples: call, ball, tall, walk, chalk)
What should we work on at home?
- Read for 10-15 minutes every night Monday through Thursday. You can read to someone, with someone, or listen to someone read. You can read a book, a magazine, on an iPad, however you choose... just LOVE it!
- High Frequency Words (HFW) for this week: all high frequency words
- Continue to work on these words: first nine week's list, second nine week's list, third nine week's list, which, right, these, every, write, those, live, water, always, their, pull, both, about, going, use, even, old, cold, own, best, upon,gone, watch, call, walk
(Students will need to practice reading all the words. Students will need to practice both reading and spelling for the red words. )
- Thursday, May 18, 2023- PTO Spirit Night at Defy
- Friday, May 19th, 2023- AR deadline, House Cup Celebration! Go Eheys!
- Monday, May 22- Neon day, wear neon or bright colored shirt with uniform bottoms
- Tuesday, May 23- Game and craft day, bring board or card games to play in the afternoon
- Wednesday, May 25- Beach day and end of year celebration. Bring towel and wear tropical/beach shirt with uniform bottoms
- Thursday, May 25, 2023- Last Day for Students (dismissal at 1pm), movie day, bring a blanket
8:00-8:25 Morning Routine
8:25-9:25 Whole Group Reading, Begin Small Group Reading
9:25-10:05 Art Monday, PE Tuesday-Friday
10:05-10:50 MAC Time- Reading Small Group
12:30-12:45 Phonemic Awareness
12:45-1:25- Grammar and Writing
2:10-2:45- Science/Social Studies
Tuesday 12:45-1:25 Library
Wednesday 12:45-1:25 Music
Friday 12:45-1:25 Spanish