1st Grade Team
Welcome to First Grade!
I am so excited for this school year! This is my sixth year teaching at McKeel Academy Central. I graduated from Southeastern University with a bachelors degree in Elementary Education. I am certified in elementary education, and I am reading and ESOL endorsed. I love traveling, shopping, and spending time with my family and friends. I also have a passion for learning and teaching. This year my goal is to enrich your child with engaging and differentiated learning experiences to meet your child's needs and help your child reach his or her full potential. I hope to instill a love of learning in your child, and I look forward to working together this year! Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns throughout the year.
What are we learning?
Reading: Review identifying and using text features and describing characters, setting, and events
Writing: Writing in a complete sentence with capitalization and punctuation
Math: Addition and subtraction within 10 using counting on to add, counting back to subtract, and using subtractions to solve addition equations
Social Studies: American symbols
Science: Scientific method
Phonics: words ending in -ink, -ank, -onk, -unk
What should we work on at home?
- Read for 10-15 minutes every night Monday through Thursday. You can read to someone, with someone, or listen to someone read. You can read a book, a magazine, on an iPad, however you choose... just LOVE it!
- High Frequency Words (HFW) for this week: give, think, thank
- Continue t0 work on these words: take, time, five, made gave, home, as, an, man, all, tell, off, or, sing, thing
(Students will need to practice reading all the words. Students will need to practice both reading and spelling for the red words. )
- Friday, October 7, 2022- End of 1st Grading Period
- Friday, October 14, 2022- *Field Trip* Police Station
- Monday, October 17, 2022- No school
- Monday, October 24, 2022- Report Cards
- Wednesday, October 25, 2022- PTO Spirit Night at Skateworld
- Friday, October 28, 2022- House Day! Go Eheys!
- Thursday, November 17, 2022- PTO Spirit Night at PDQ
- Friday, November 18, 2022 Friday - Friday, November 18-25, 2022- Fall Break
- Tuesday, December 6, 2022- *Field Trip* Grace Manor and Barnett Park
- Friday, December 9, 2022- House Day! Go Eheys!
- Wednesday, December 14, 2022- *Field Trip* Lakeland Community Theater
- Friday, December 16, 2022- End of 2nd Grading Period
- Monday, December 19, 2022 - Wednesday, January 4, 2023- Winter Break
- Thursday, January 5, 2023- Students return to school from winter break.
- Thursday, January 12, 2023- Report Cards
- Monday, January 16, 2023- No school (Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day)
- Thursday, January 19, 2023- PTO Spirit Night at JBurns
- Friday, February 17, 2023- No school
- Monday, February 20, 2023- No school (President's Day)
- Friday, March 10, 2023- End of 3rd Grading Period, Field Day, House Day! Go Eheys!
- Monday - Friday, March 13-17, 2023- Spring Break
- Tuesday, March 28, 2023- Report Cards
- Friday, April 7, 2023- No school
- Thursday, April 20, 2023- PTO Spirit Night at Dairy Queen (North)
- Thursday, May 18, 2023- PTO Spirit Night at Defy
- Friday, May 19th, 2023- House Cup Celebration! Go Eheys!
- Thursday, May 25, 2023- Last Day for Students
8:00-8:25 Morning Routine
8:25-9:25 Whole Group Reading, Begin Small Group Reading
9:25-10:05 Art Monday, PE Tuesday-Friday
10:05-10:50 MAC Time- Reading Small Group
12:30-12:45 Phonemic Awareness
12:45-1:25- Grammar and Writing
2:10-2:45- Science/Social Studies
Tuesday 12:45-1:25 Library
Wednesday 12:45-1:25 Music
Friday 12:45-1:25 Spanish