1st Grade Team
Welcome to First Grade!
I am so excited for this school year! This is my sixth year teaching at McKeel Academy Central. I graduated from Southeastern University with a bachelors degree in Elementary Education. I am certified in elementary education, and I am reading and ESOL endorsed. I love traveling, shopping, and spending time with my family and friends. I also have a passion for learning and teaching. This year my goal is to enrich your child with engaging and differentiated learning experiences to meet your child's needs and help your child reach his or her full potential. I hope to instill a love of learning in your child, and I look forward to working together this year! Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns throughout the year.
What are we learning?
Reading: Retelling a text, Identify main idea and key details
Writing: Opinion writing, writing in a complete sentence with capitalization and punctuation
Math: Addition strategies when adding to 20, Adding 3 numbers
Social Studies: Map elements and creating a map
Science: Sun and Magnifiers
Phonics: ending l blends (ex. held, shelf, milk, help, wilt)
What should we work on at home?
- Read for 10-15 minutes every night Monday through Thursday. You can read to someone, with someone, or listen to someone read. You can read a book, a magazine, on an iPad, however you choose... just LOVE it!
- High Frequency Words (HFW) for this week: done, fast, first
- Continue to work on these words: first nine week's list, second nine week's list, were, know, just, says, hand, when, goes, fly read, some, could, would
(Students will need to practice reading all the words. Students will need to practice both reading and spelling for the red words. )
- Friday, February 10, 2023- Field trip to the post office and Barnett Park.
- Friday, February 17, 2023- No school
- Monday, February 20, 2023- No school (President's Day)
- Friday, March 10, 2023- End of 3rd Grading Period, Field Day, House Day! Go Eheys!
- Monday - Friday, March 13-17, 2023- Spring Break
- Tuesday, March 28, 2023- Report Cards
- Thursday, April 6, 2023- Field trip to the Zoo
- Friday, April 7, 2023- No school
- Thursday, April 20, 2023- PTO Spirit Night at Dairy Queen (North)
- Thursday, May 18, 2023- PTO Spirit Night at Defy
- Friday, May 19th, 2023- House Cup Celebration! Go Eheys!
- Thursday, May 25, 2023- Last Day for Students
8:00-8:25 Morning Routine
8:25-9:25 Whole Group Reading, Begin Small Group Reading
9:25-10:05 Art Monday, PE Tuesday-Friday
10:05-10:50 MAC Time- Reading Small Group
12:30-12:45 Phonemic Awareness
12:45-1:25- Grammar and Writing
2:10-2:45- Science/Social Studies
Tuesday 12:45-1:25 Library
Wednesday 12:45-1:25 Music
Friday 12:45-1:25 Spanish