3rd Grade Team
Hi... my name is Ashley Long and I am so excited to be a part of the First Grade team again this year! I am actually a graduate of McKeel Academy of Technology. After graduating from MAT, I attended the University of South Florida and earned my Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education. I am so blessed to have only ever taught right here at MAC! After teaching third and fourth grade for several years I decided it was time for a change. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to teach first grade for the past four years and continue this year as well. I love the energy, excitement and hunger these young students possess! As I begin my twelfth year teaching, my personal philosophy remains the same- no matter the age of the students in my class. I strive everyday to provide a classroom in which every student feels loved, welcome and uplifted- only then can we begin to learn together.
Looking forward to an AMAZING year...
- Read each night! Even just for 15-20 minutes. You can read to someone, with someone or listen to someone. You can read a book, a magazine, on an iPad, however you choose... just LOVE it! You may log it in your agenda.
- Practice the Sight Words written in your agenda. This can be done however you choose to practice at home... sidewalk chalk, magnetic letters on the fridge, finger painting, etc. Make it FUN!! Practicing your words does not have to be boring! Sight words are just that, learned by sight. They usually break phonics rules, so we do not sound them out, we memorize them by sight. That is exactly how students are assessed at the end of each week as well. Students read their sight words to the teacher one-on-one.
- Practice Phonics Words, these words are also written in your child's agenda. We practice these words differently because they are taught differently. These words follow patterns and 'rules' and we can sound these words out. We focus on a different skill each week. A new skill is introduced on Monday, we practice all week and then students are assessed on Friday like a traditional spelling test. The more practice students can get at home with both sight words and phonics words throughout the week to reinforce what we are doing in the classroom, the better!
- Reading- How Animals Stay Cool (Science Spin)
- Phonics Words- none this week
- Sight Words- America, mountains, state, able, board, young, hungry (2nd grade words)
- Math Homework- none on paper this week. Your child may work on IXL for extra practice at home if you choose.
- (For extra math practice, try IXL.com, begin any of the sections in O, Q, T, U, V, W, or X) Students may also work on XTRAmath.org for practice with their addition or subtraction facts. *usernames and passwords are in the front of their agendas.
- Next Week's Sight Words- none
- Last Week's Sight Words-
Dates to Remember...
Tuesday: May 21st: School-wide STEM Day!
Wednesday: May 22nd: Get your NEON-READ-ON Day!!
Thursday: May 23rd: Class End of the Year Rewards/Celebration
Friday: May 24th: Last Day for Staff & Students! Class Party & Games
Monday: May 27th: Memorial Day
Send me a Message
- AR Book Find
- AR HomeConnect
- IXL-Math Practice
- RAZ-KIDS (along105)
- TenMarks- Math Practice
- Sunshine State Readers