1st Grade Team
Hi... my name is Ashley Long and I am so excited to be a part of the First Grade team again this year! I am actually a graduate of McKeel Academy of Technology. After graduating from MAT, I attended the University of South Florida and earned my Bachelors Degree in Elementary Education. I am so blessed to have only ever taught right here at MAC! After teaching third and fourth grade for several years I decided it was time for a change. I was thrilled to have the opportunity to teach first grade for the past four years and continue this year as well. I love the energy, excitement and hunger these young students possess! As I begin my twelfth year teaching, my personal philosophy remains the same- no matter the age of the students in my class. I strive everyday to provide a classroom in which every student feels loved, welcome and uplifted- only then can we begin to learn together.
Looking forward to an AMAZING year...
- Read each night! Even just for 15-20 minutes. You can read to someone, with someone or listen to someone. You can read a book, a magazine, on an iPad, however you choose... just LOVE it! You may log it in your agenda.
- Practice the Sight Words written in your agenda. This can be done however you choose to practice at home... sidewalk chalk, magnetic letters on the fridge, finger painting, etc. Make it FUN!! Practicing your words does not have to be boring! Sight words are just that, learned by sight. They usually break phonics rules, so we do not sound them out, we memorize them by sight. That is exactly how students are assessed at the end of each week as well. Students read their sight words to the teacher one-on-one.
- Practice Phonics Words, these words are also written in your child's agenda. We practice these words differently because they are taught differently. These words follow patterns and 'rules' and we can sound these words out. We focus on a different skill each week. A new skill is introduced on Monday, we practice all week and then students are assessed on Friday like a traditional spelling test. The more practice students can get at home with both sight words and phonics words throughout the week to reinforce what we are doing in the classroom, the better!
- Reading- Staying Healthy
- Phonics Words- go, good, game, gum, glass, age, cage, huge, gym, wage
- Sight Words- bell, fly, give, old, take
- Math Homework- none this week...
- (For extra math practice, try IXL.com, begin any of the sections in P, Q, or U) Students may also work on XTRAmath.org for practice with their addition or subtraction facts. *usernames and passwords are in the front of their agendas.
- Next Week's Sight Words- call, has, live, sleep, time
- Last Week's Sight Words- back, eye, farmer, feet, letter
What Are We Learning About?
Reading: - Ask and answer questions to help determine the meaning of words in a text.
Writing - Write to tell a story.
Grammar - Use determiners.
Phonics - soft g (hard g)
Math- Tell and write time in hours and half hours to better understand using digital and analog clocks.
Science- Earth Structures: Recognize that water, rocks, soil, and living organisms are found on Earth's surface.
Describe the need for water and how to be safe around water.
Recognize that some things in the world around us happen fast and some happen slowly.
Social Studies- American History: Identify celebrations and national holidays as a way of remembering and honoring the heroism and achievements of the people, events, and our nation's ethnic heritage.
Identify people from the past who have shown character ideals and principles including honesty, courage and responsibility.
Dates to Remember...
Monday: February 4th: Student-Led Conference Night
Thursday: February 14th: Valentine's Day
Monday: February 18th: President's Day/No School for Staff & Students
Friday: February 22nd: Father/Daughter Dance
Friday: March 1st: Dr. Seuss' Birthday!
Tuesday: March 5th: PTO Sponsored Family Science Night
Wednesday: March 6th: Class Pictures (students must wear uniforms)
Wednesday: March 13th: Spring Pictures
Friday: March 15th: End of 3rd 9weeks
Wednesday: March 20th: AR Reward (crazy socks/hat)
Friday: March22nd: Field Day!
Monday: March 25th-29th: Spring Break
Friday: April 5th: Report Cards
Friday: April 12th: Field Trip/ 1st Grade to the Fla. Aquarium!
Friday: April 19th: Good Friday/ No School Staff & Students
Tuesday: April 23rd: Spring Concert @ Victory Church
Friday: May 24th: End of 4th 9weeks/ Last Day for Staff & Students!
Monday: May 27th: Memorial Day
Send me a Message
- AR Book Find
- AR HomeConnect
- IXL-Math Practice
- RAZ-KIDS (along105)
- TenMarks- Math Practice
- Academic Standards.1st 9weeks
- Field Trip Info
- Our Daily Schedule
- Parent Night Power Point