1st Grade Team
Welcome back Wildcats! I am very excited about teaching 1st grade at McKeel Academy Central this year. This is my 18th year teaching. I graduated from The University of Toledo in 1999 with my degree in Speech/Language Therapy. Over the years I've had many amazing experiences teaching ages from 3-11. Teaching is my passion. My main goal is to grant every student success on their own educational path! Teaching students to read and watching them grow as readers is very exciting and rewarding to me. This year I plan to make our learning environment fun, engaging and student centered. I can't wait to start this year with your child! I am excited about the memories and learning we will be endeavoring throughout the school year.
Class Tag (Parent/teacher Communication App)
Mrs. Martinez's Class Schedule
8:00-8:15 Morning Work
8:15-8:20 Lunch and attendance
8:25-8:55 MAC Time
9:00-9:30- Phonics/Phonemic Awarness/Vocabulary
9:30-10:30- Reading * Mondays- Art 9:45-10:25
11:50-12:00- Finish Writing
2:15-2:45 Science (T, W, Th, Fr); Phonics (Monday)
2:25-2:55 Media- Tuesday
3:00-3:15 Clean-up and dismissal
Chick-Fil-a Spirit Nights
September 13, 2018
October 11, 2018
November 8, 2018
December 13, 2018
Snack: We will have snack time each day. Your child is responsible to bring in their own snack each day. Due to allergies this works best for our class. If you would like to send in an extra snack that I can keep for students who forget you are more then welcome to do so. We try to make sure everyone has their own snack each day with them. Below are some ideas of snacks that are healthy for your child to bring to school.
Healthy snack ideas:
Important Dates and Upcoming Events
Tuesday: Oct. 9rd: Open House/PTO Meeting-Family Night
Monday: Oct. 15th: No School for Students/Staff
Wednesday: Oct. 17th: First Grade Field Trip- Lakeland Police Department/Lunch in Munn Park
Wednesday: November 7th: Field Trip - Circle B Ranch Reserve 9:30-1:15
Tuesday: December 18th: Mckeelville
Wednesday: December 19th: Field Trip - Grace Manor
Thursday: December 20th: Last day before Christmas Break
Monday: January 7th: Students return to school after break
OCTOBER 17TH Lakeland Police Department
NOVEMBER 14TH Circle B Bar Reserve
DECEMBER 19TH Grace Manor
- Read each night! Even just for 15-20 minutes. You can read to someone, with someone or listen to someone. You can read a book, a magazine, on an iPad, however you choose... just LOVE it! You may log it in your agenda.
- Practice the Sight Words written in your agenda. This can be done however you choose to practice at home... sidewalk chalk, magnetic letters on the fridge, finger painting, etc. Make it FUN!! Practicing your words does not have to be boring! Sight words are just that, learned by sight. They usually break phonics rules, so we do not sound them out, we memorize them by sight. That is exactly how students are assessed at the end of each week as well. Students read their sight words to the teacher one-on-one.
- Practice Phonics Words, these words are also written in your child's agenda. We practice these words differently because they are taught differently. These words follow patterns and 'rules' and we can sound these words out. We focus on a different skill each week. A new skill is introduced on Monday, we practice all week and then students are assessed on Friday like a traditional spelling test. The more practice students can get at home with both sight words and phonics words throughout the week to reinforce what we are doing in the classroom, the better!
- Reading- nothing extra
- Phonics Words- Review
- Sight Words- write, always, sister, brother, robin
- Math Homework- Extra practice IXL in lessons C, D, E
- Next Week's Sight Words-
- Last Week's Sight Words-
What Are We Learning About?
Reading: - Ask and answer questions about key details in a text. Identify the main topic and retell key details of a text. Describe the connection between two individuals, events, ideas, or pieces of information in a text.
Writing - Expository (informational) writing
Grammar - Shades of Meaning
Phonics - Review
Math- Cummutative and Associative Properties of Additon; Apply properties of operation as strategies to add and subtract.
Science- Properties of matter
Send me a Message
- AR Book Find
- AR HomeConnect
- IXL-Math Practice
- RAZ-KIDS (along105)
- TenMarks- Math Practice
Send me a Message
- 1st 9 weeks HFW cards
- 2nd 9 weeks HFW
- 3rd 9 weeks HFW cards
- 4th 9 weeks HFW cards
- Parent Night 2017-2018
- Parent Video
- School Supply List