Hello Wildcats! I'm thrilled to share another year of music making with you!
I earned my Bachelor's in Music Education degree from Florida Southern College back in 1998 and have been teaching elementary music ever since! I have my Orff Level 3 and World Drumming Level 2 certifications, and I'm also a National Board certified teacher. In addition to being a teacher, I'm a musician: I lead the worship at my church from the keyboard and play the flute in the community.
It has been a joy to work at MAC with your students.
Welcome to MUSIC!
All students in grades Pre K through 6th grade have the opportunity to come to music once a week for 40 minutes. In the music classroom you will play xylophones, drums, recorders, boomwhackers, small percussion instruments, ukuleles, and you'll sing, move, create and express yourself in lots of fun ways!
Our curriculum follows the National and State of Florida guidelines for learning. I strive for a nurturing and encouraging environment where students are comfortable, free to open up, sing and move, expressing themselves with confidence and without fear! I hope to share a love for music with each of my students that lasts their lifetime.
In addition to teaching general music classes to all students in PreK-5th grades, I offer these classes that students may choose to join:
Caracal (a drum and xylophone ensemble for students in 4th, 5th, and 6th grades)
Other events that our MAC music students can audition and participate in are:
All County Chorus, All County Orff, All State Chorus and All State Orff.
See Suggested Links in the upper right hand corner of this website for more info!
IMPORTANT! If you've never played a band instrument before and you're not certain which one to choose, come to the Band instrument tryouts! Tuesday, August 29, 2017 from 3:00 - 3:30pm, a representative from Carlton's Music Center will be here to answer all of your questions. He will bring a variety of band instruments to the MAC Music Room and students will have the opportunity to play on each of them, ask questions, and choose which instrument they'd like to study. Parents are required to attend this meeting and help your child decide and discuss rental fees.
CARACAL (4th, 5th, and 6th graders)
Music Websites to Explore!
The following websites include fun, educational music games that reinforce concepts learned in class
Dallas Symphony Kids (An extensive site with a wide variety of music games, virtual tour of the symphony, and music listening. It has an excellent timeline game about composers.)
New York Philharmonic Orchestra Kids Zone (Featuring a wide variety of music games, virtual tour of the symphony and pages to meet the musicians and hear the instruments.)
Home of K8 KidTunes
All State Auditions 2017-2018
Students from across the state of Florida will be selected by audition to perform for the National Music Educators Convention in Tampa, January 2017. Auditions will be submitted electronically in September. Fee of $15 per audition is required.
Rehearsals will be held in the music room at the beginning of the school year. Please email me if you are interested in auditioning. Audition information and requirements are listed in the area of this website marked "Important Files".
6th Grade Music Electives
All 6th Grade students are invited to sign up for one, two, or all three of the classes offered during specials block time. These classes are offered as electives, so students are not required to sign up.
1. Guitar Class: Want to learn how to play the guitar? Never played before? Already have a little guitar playing experience? Either way, this is the class for you! If you've got zero experience or if you're already a guitar maestro, join us as we learn to play the guitar together. Guitar classes are held on Mondays during PE/music block time. Students participating in this class will need to bring their own guitar to class every Monday and will need to purchase Essential Elements for Guitar Book 1 with Audio File access. This book can be purchased at Carltons music center. Please fill out the google form application page from the SUGGESTED LINKS section of this website for more information and to register. You will receive a confirmation email once you've been accepted into the course.
2. Bucket Drum Line: Students will learn to play in an ensemble, learn to maintain their own part while other parts are played, and will learn technical rhythm patterns. This group performs in the community. Students are asked to purchase a music T-shirt to wear at performances with navy blue pants or blue jeans. Bucket Drum Line Classes are held on Tuesdays during PE/music block time. Please fill out the google form application page from the SUGGESTED LINKS section of this website. You will receive a confirmation email once you've been accepted into the course.
3. Ukulele/Choir: Students will learn to play the ukulele, sing in an ensemble, and will study various types of percussion instruments including boom whackers, bucket drumming, xylophones, and traditional percussion instruments. Ukulele/Choir classes are held on Wednesdays during PE/music block time. Please fill out the google form application page from the SUGGESTED LINKS section of this website. You will receive a confirmation email once you've been accepted into the course.
- Band: Band is offered as an after school enrichment to all 4th, 5th and 6th grade students. Rehearsals are held on Tuesdays after school from 3:05-4pm. Students will need to bring their own instrument to class and will need to purchase a band book for their instrument from Carlton's Music Center (Standards of Excellence book 1). Please fill out the google form application page from the SUGGESTED LINKS section of this website. You will receive a confirmation email once you've been accepted into the course. Students are asked to purchase a music T-shirt for $10 to be worn at concerts with blue jeans.
- Caracal: Caracal is the name of an African Wildcat. It is also the name of a drum and xylo group comprised of 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. Rehearsals are held on Wednesdays from 7:45 - 8:10AM in the music room. This group performs around the community. Please fill out the google form application page from the SUGGESTED LINKS section of this website. You will receive a confirmation email once you've been accepted into the course. Students are asked to purchase a music T-shirt for $10 to be worn at concerts with blue jeans.
- Recorder Club: Recorder club is for kids who enjoy playing the recorder and want to learn new fun songs. This group performs around the community. Students are asked to purchase a music T-shirt for $10 to be worn at concerts with blue jeans.
Do you enjoy playing your recorder? Want to get together with other kids who like to play the recorder? Sign up for RECORDER CLUB!
Find the Suggested Links column in the upper right hand corner of this website and fill out the google form to sign up. :)
Recorder help Website: http://odogy.com/LearnToPlayRecorderSongs/Default.aspx
Send me a Message
- 6th Grade Bucket Drum Line
- 6th Grade Guitar Class
- 6th Grade Ukulele/Choir
- MAC BAND
- Recorder club
- Recorder Karate 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grades
- All State Body Percussion Song
- All State Orff Ensemble Song
- All State Rubric for Wahlberg Song
- All State xylo song
- Recorder Info Letter