2nd Grade Team
Welcome back Wildcats! I am very excited about teaching 2nd grade this year. This is my 12th year teaching. I graduated from USF in 2008 with my Elementary Education Degree and ESOL endorsement. Teaching is my passion. I have recently earned my reading endorsement as well as completed a phonics first training. My main goal is to grant every student success on their own educational path! Teaching students to read and watching them grow as readers is very exciting and rewarding to me. This year I plan to make our learning environment fun, engaging and student centered. Throughout the school year we will go on different learning adventures through classroom transformations. I can't wait to start this year with your child! I am excited about the memories and learning we will be endeavoring throughout the school year.
ClassTag (Parent/teacher communication app)
Please sign up on orientation. Follow directions on the ClassTag flyer.
September 2nd- Labor day Off
September 16th- Teacher Workday
October 8th- Open house/Family Night
October 11th- end of 1st 9 weeks
October 14- No school
October 25th- report card
November 25th-29th- Thanksgiving break
December 19th- end of 2nd 9 weeks ( we are half way done!)
December 20-January 3rd- Winter/Christmas Break
At Home Practice
1. Read 15-20 minutes nightly. Students will take an AR test at the end of the week. Students read a book 3 times before taking an AR test. (Sunday night-Thursday night) *Reading IQ login: Shannonkearney@mckeelschools.com pw: mckeel1 (teacher login)
2. Math: Ixl, Zearn, or xtramath (fleuncy) Goal: Students should be on Subtraction by December.
3. Reading comprehension: N/A (red folder)
4. Practice reading and spelling your Phonics and HFW's. Test is Friday. Check your child's agenda for what words are their's. Your child knows if they have the orange list or purple list. They all have the blue list. (Read and spell)
Spelling : (digraphs ch and wh) chop, each, when, chin, what, such, why, much, while, which
Red Words: done, again
Ways to study Spelling/phonics- index cards, rainbow writing (write consonants blue and vowels red), 3 x's each, write words in sentences, spell out loud,
Red Words (All of them): as, all, or, an, any, give, your, here, why, there, her, been, say, one, goes, some, done, again
Mrs. Kearney's Class Schedule
8:00-8:15 Morning Work
8:15-8:20 Lunch and attendance
8:30-8:90 MAC Time
9:30-10:40- Reading/writing/Language *Monday Library 9:25-10:10; Tuesday- Music 9:25-10:10
11:05-11:30 Small Group/ A.R
1:00-1:25 Snack/ Read Aloud
1:30-2:10- Block ( Wednesdays-Art)
2:15-2:50 - Science/Social Studies
2:50-2:55- Pack up, clean-up, agendas/payday
*2:55- Bus Dismissal
3:00-3:15 Car dismissal and Cat Care
Snack: We will have snack time each day. Your child is responsible to bring in their own snack each day. Due to allergies this works best for our class. If you would like to send in an extra snack that I can keep for students who forget you are more then welcome to do so. We try to make sure everyone has their own snack each day with them. Below are some ideas of snacks that are healthy for your child to bring to school.
Healthy snack ideas:
*Parent Night- Tuesday, August 20 @ 5:30pm In our classroom.
* Volunteer Applications (on-line) due September 13th deadline.
* Walk-a-Thon September 6th (PTO Fundraiser)
* Yankee Candle fundraiser starts 9/23 ( asking for each child to sell 4 items minimum)